Friday, May 20, 2011

Growing up as a Mormon

So I'm starting to realize that I was uber sheltered as a child (and still seems that my parents try to shelter me), even for someone raised LDS.

Another kid told me my first curse word (the F word) in 5th grade, and even then I still didn't know what she was talking about.
I didn't even say my first curse word on purpose until I was like 15.
Only until recently, I'm 21 mind you, did my dad stop chastising me about saying the words "crap" and "sucks".

My parents wouldn't let us watch anything sexual and even "blocked" MTV growing up. I never got "the talk". I pretty much knew what sex was, but I never got any real discussion about sex until 7th grade sex ed class.

Anything caffeinated was/is taboo in our household. My mother throws a fit just knowing there's a caffeinated coke in her house. She tries to act like it's a commandment that we don't drink caffeine and I've called her out on it several times about how it's not actually against our religion or anything and there was even an apostle or prophet or something who drank a Mountain Dew to prove a point about this. She just completely ignores me.

I started wearing shorter shorts and skirts around age 15 and my mother about had a heart attack. Jeez. My skirts and shorts were still past my fingertips. She had the same feeling about anything sleeveless I wore, even if the straps were the width of my hand.

Heaven forbid I ever wear anything except a full one piece swimsuit. I thought I killed her when I bought a two piece for tanning.

Pretty sure I would kill her if I came straight out and told her everything I do or have done.

It just seems that I keep finding more and more people who were raised in the church but obviously raised completely different. I hope that I never shelter my children as much as I was sheltered...

No comments: